So, as some of you may have been aware, a three-page letter in which George R.R Martin pitches his idea for the original trilogy that was to be ASOIAF has been found. Now, grain of salt – lots of things shift between conception and execution – but let’s take a gander:
(WARNING – KIND OF SPOILERY, BUT NOT REALLY BECAUSE NOT MUCH IS STILL CANON)
A couple things to note:
– TWOW supposed to focus on the Others.
– any theory that the Others are something other than omnicidal is now conclusively Jossed.
– what the hell is a neverborn? Are we going to see zombie stillbirths crawling around?
– note the emphasis on revenge.
– Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Bran, Arya are the big five characters.
– originally Eddard saved Catelyn and Arya! That would have made a big difference in ultimate futility assessments.
– Robb was supposed to maim Joffrey and die in battle?! Tyrion was supposed to burn Winterfell? Wow, talk about a radically different path.
– Catelyn, Bran, and Arya were going to try to find refuge with the Night’s Watch? Arya was supposed to fall in love with Jon? Glad they didn’t go with that route.
– Benjen not dead at least in this outline.
– Catelyn was supposed to die in a white walker attack on Mance Rayder’s camp?!
– Dany was supposed to murder Drogo for killing Viserys?!
– Tyrion was supposed to kill Joffrey? King Jaime? Tyrion in love with Arya?!
Well then. I think we can see that it’s a good thing GRRM is a gardener rather than an architect, because the story we got is very different, and a lot more unconventional, than the one he originally sketched out.