Hey folks! So Dany IV is now in the can, and I’m planning to move ahead with both Arya VIII (which is outlined and just needs the quotes plugged in before I can move foreward) and the next Dunk & Egg essay, since I have more time on my hands than is usual.
In the meantime, I have some good stuff on the Tumblrs…
- How much time passed between the Tourney at Harrenhal and Lyanna’s disappearance?
- Did Aerys find out that Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree?
- Premodern cultural adaptations to high infant mortality rates.
- More ragging on Daario’s clothing.
- An extended discussion of why it’s difficult for artists to depict Daario’s outfit accurately.
- On historical hair dye.
- Hedge knights and travel costs.
- How did people become mercenaries?
- What do you think is the inspiration for the race of giants in ASOIF and what role are they going to play in the story?
- I have more than a sneaking suspicion that GRRM is something of a Bigfoot enthusiast, because the giants of ASOIAF resemble popular depictions of the American cryptid way more than the kind of giants you’d see in your Monster Manual. As for what role…they seem to be mostly thematic, a symbol of man’s negative impact on nature.
- What are Shagga, Son of Dolf, and the Stone Crows doing in the King’s Wood? Do you think, they will play a relevant part again?
- Being bandits, apparently. They might be a roadbump for the Golden Company, but I don’t think more than that.
- In the last Arya-Chapter, you mentioned Gendry’s social advancement. This gave me a crazy idea. Could it be, that Martin plans for Gendry to be King at the end of ASOIF, sort as a “Gendry Baratheon, the Even-More-Unlikely-than-Egg-Wow-totally-Did-not-see-that-coming, First of his Name”, or am I just tripping right now?
- I doubt it. Unlike in the show, Gendry’s social advancement has gone in a very different direction, what with him having his own smithy. Also, the books have Edric Storm, who’s better positioned for that role.