In lieu of the podcast, where RL issues are still causing issues, I thought I’d cross-post some thoughts I shared on the Tumblr site:
– Loved pretty much everything here. Jon and Sansa’s reunion was incredibly heartwarming, it was great to see Sansa being the political mind behind Jon’s warrior.
– Brienne being a dick to Davos and Melisandre wasn’t cool. Tormund trying to seduce her with his sensual eating habits was amazing.
– I like that we really got a sense from this episode where the Northern plot is going, and a sense of narrative momentum. Good.
– teenaged Robin Arryn is bigger, but just as nuts.
– watching Littlefinger run rings around Bronze Yohn Royce was the most impressive he’s been in seasons.
– Well, I feel more vindicated on my Meereen-is-Reconstruction argument now. Good to see Missandei and Grey Worm having political opinions on slavery and pushing back against Tyrion’s privileged bullshit while Tyrion still had a general point. Still would have worked better if Meereen was actually being besieged.
– oy vey. Daario and Jorah’s scenes were painfully bad.
– this show is making threats of rape against Dany cliched and trite, and that’s fucked up.
– final sequence would have worked a lot better with a 40 foot dragon towering behind Dany.
– as with Castle Black, definitely got a good sense of narrative momentum, with Cersei burying the hatchet with the Queen of Thorns and planning to take out the High Septon.
– Jonathan Pryce is an amazing actor as always, but I feel like his scene with Margaery was lacking in motivation for him. What is he trying to get from Margaery? Just informing on her brother? Not enough to justify this much screen time.
– well done, and a very unexpected and heartfelt end to that scene.
– no scenes in Winterfell again? Weird.
– joking aside, this shit is also getting cliched. We know Ramsay’s evil, you have shown us this over and over again to the point where it’s not interesting any more.
– can’t wait to see what GRRM has in mind for Osha that isn’t this.