So, after many delays, the big announcement that I’ve been talking about since the spring is finally here: the Race for the Iron Throne Kickstarter is live! The purpose of this Kickstarter is to raise money so that I can devote more of my time to writing about A Song of Ice and Fire, and specifically to enable me to jump-start several projects I’ve been talking about for a while:
- “Kings, Hands, and City-States: Analyzing a World of Ice and Fire” ebook – as I’ve discussed before (link), my editor Marc and I have put together an e-book that collects my Tower of the Hand essays, as well as two exclusive essays that update the Hollow Crowns and Hands of the King series for the post-World of Ice and Fire era. Supporting the Race for the Iron Throne Kickstarter will get you an advance copy of the e-book a month ahead of the regular punters.
- Race for the Iron Throne Volume 2 ebook – another major objective of the Kickstarter is to free up some time to only write about A Song of Ice and Fire, so that I can finish up A Clash of Kings, publish the Volume 2 ebook, and finally get into A Storm of Swords. In addition to the regular chapter-by-chapter essays, I’m also including some brand-new essays and other bonus content, to reward my regular readers.
- Race for the Iron Throne *physical* books – one of the things I’ve been wanting to do for a long time is to produce physical versions of my e-book(s), both for those who don’t like or don’t have e-readers, and for those who enjoy collecting actual books. We’re starting with a physical version of “Kings, Hands, and City-States,” which will include some gorgeous interior art courtesy of joannalannister on tumblr that will make it a real treasure. We’ll also be doing physical versions of Race for the Iron Throne Volumes 1 and 2 as well, for those completists out there.
- “Battle of Blackwater Week” – this is my personal favorite of the projects. I’ve decided to set aside the chapters that cover the Battle of Blackwater, and rather than put them out in my regular pace, I’m going to write them all out and post them over the course of a single week, with multiple posts every day. In addition to the recaps of the battle itself, I’ll also be doing a bonus podcast on the historical parallels of the Battle of Blackwater with Aziz from the History of Westeros podcast, as well as some other fun stuff. Contributing to the Kickstarter at this reward level means that you get advance access to all of this, as well as an invitation to a “Blackwater” Rewatch Party in NYC (if you can’t make it, we’ll send you a link to a livestream). We’ll have some drinks, rewatch the episode on a big screen, do some Q+A, maybe a reading from one of my books, and have hopefully-sub-Dothraki-wedding levels of fun.
- And that just scratches the surface – I’ve got a whole bunch of bonus essays planned for if the Kickstarter hits its funding goals!
Over the past few years, Race for the Iron Throne has grown by leaps and bounds, largely due to your support. I appreciate your help enormously, and I hope you can continue to support me through this first experiment in crowdfunding. If you can’t chip in financially, I completely understand – penniless adjunct over here! – any help you can give in terms of spreading the word across the web and to your friends is incredibly helpful. I also want to assure you that this Kickstarter will not mean that you’ll lose out on any regular content. On the contrary, if this succeeds, you’ll be getting the same Race for the Iron Throne a lot more frequently.
So please visit my Kickstarter page, check out the rewards, and help contribute!