I decided to move some things around a bit, since Chapter III was a pretty long haul. So in this case, I’m doing two shorter chapters at once, and then splitting up the Seven Kingdoms section in half, so it’s more manageable.
So let’s talk Robert’s Rebellion!
The Year of the False Spring:
- So 279-280 were winter years. Good to know.
- “The things that transpired beneath the walls of Harrenhal were set down by a score of chroniclers and recorded in many a letter.” I’m a bit confused that more people in ASOIAF don’t know about it, then.
- a “shadow host” behind Lord Whent…fascinating.
- “Prince Rhaegar who urged Lord Walter to hold the tourney, using his lordship’s brother Ser Oswell as a go-between. Rhaegar provided Whent with gold…his intent was to gather the great lords of the realm together in what amounted to an informal Great Council.” I like pragmatic reformer Rhaegar much better than prophecy-obsessed emo Rhaegar.
- Qarlton Chelsted, Lucerys Velaryon, Symond Staunton, Varys, and Rossart. What a lovely bunch of people.
- So Rhaegar had the backing of Jon Connington (duh), Ser Myles Mooton, Ser Richard Lonmouth, the Dornish, and Ser Arthur Dayne.
- Pycelle and Merryweather as the neutrals – of course they were.
- Yeah…Aerys attending the tourney did not go well.
- I didn’t realize Tywin didn’t attend. So there was a gap between Jaime getting named and him quitting.
- Aerys’ paranoia about Jaime is darkly funny, given that it was his idea.
- Wow…Brandon was ready to throw down at the Tourney.
- It’s amazing Aerys didn’t burn down King’s Landing before the Rebellion, actually.
- So Rhaegar found Lyanna near Harrenhal, well given that it was several months after the Tourney, I’m guessing she detoured on the way to Brandon’s wedding. I wonder if any of the half-dozen are still alive?
- not a lot of new information here. Dangnabbit.
- the timing is really confusing here, given that I thought Ashford came before the Bells.
- So Rhaegar was definitely down south when everything that happened to Brandon and Rickard happened.
- Rhaella was definitely pregnant in 283 AC. Yes, she’s definitely Dany’s mom.
- Pycelle spinning very hard here.
The Glorious Reign:
- well, that’s a waste of a page…
That was a short one. Now on to the travelogue!